Graves damaged at a Libyan war cemetery last week are unlikely to be those of New Zealanders.
A headstone was damaged, and some temporary grave markers were removed, last Thursday at the Benghazi War Cemetery, in which 11 New Zealanders are among the 1200 Commonwealth servicemen buried.
It followed vandalism of 198 graves at the cemetery in March, in which all 11 New Zealand headstones were damaged and removed.
A statement from the Ministry for Culture and Heritage says the headstones had yet to be replaced, making it unlikely New Zealand graves were damaged in the latest vandalism.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission, which maintains war graves on behalf of a number of Commonwealth countries, says restoration of the headstones damaged in March was under way.
It said 245 new headstones were on their way to Benghazi, and another 161 were due for shipment in September.