AEST 00:00, Thu Sep 13 2012
At least 19 people are dead and 24 others hospitalised after drinking cheap vodka and rum laced with methanol, a toxic substance used to stretch alcohol on the black market.
Some of them have been blinded, while others have been induced into comas in the hope that doctors can save them.
The Czech Republic announced emergency measures Wednesday as the death toll from the methanol poisoning mounted, including two women aged 28 and 21.
Kiosks and markets were banned from selling spirits with more than 30 percent alcohol content and police raided outlets nationwide.
A patient who drank the alcohol receives medical treatment in Havirov hospital.