A sex offenders' register will give people peace of mind because they'll know officials are keeping tabs on them, an opposition party says.
Police Minister Anne Tolley is considering establishing a register and work started on it earlier this year after a convicted sex offender was discovered teaching in a school.
NZ First police spokesman Richard Prosser says his party backs a register but it must be properly funded so it stays relevant and up-to-date.
Access to the register will be restricted to officials with security clearance.
"Sex offenders could otherwise fall between the cracks and be overlooked, the implications of such oversights could be significant," Mr Prosser said on Thursday.
Mrs Tolley told Fairfax greater information-sharing between government departments could stop offenders escaping notice.
Te Rito Henry Miki, 40, earlier this month admitted using a false resume and birth certificate to get work in six schools despite a conviction for indecently assaulting a 14 year old.
He was arrested for breaching an extended supervision order after a person recognised him driving a van load of children.
Education Minister Hekia Parata launched a ministerial inquiry into the case, and the government will look to introduce the register once the investigation is complete.