Four members of the New Zealand Under-20 rugby team have been allegedly linked to the rape of a woman in South Africa after their loss to the hosts in the IRB Under-20 final, according to a local newspaper.
The New Age reports police are conducting a "very low profile and hushed up investigation" into a complaint on Saturday morning by a 22-year-old woman who had visited the Southern Sun Hotel Newlands.
Police spokesman Col Vish Naidoo confirmed police were investigating the rape complaint.
However, the woman could not tell detectives who raped her because she couldn't remember anything about the incident.
The initial response from the New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) was that the report was incorrect.
"Our understanding of the matter is that the allegation is focused on one player," said NZRU general manager professional rugby Neil Sorensen.
The team had complied with local police requirements and cooperated fully and helped with inquiries.
South African police were happy for all members of the team to travel home, he said.
Neither team management, nor the NZRU had been contacted by the local authorities since then or advised of any further issues or inquiries.
"If we are contacted we will cooperate and help in any way we can," Mr Sorensen said.
The NZRU would discuss the matter with team management in due course, he said.
None of the New Zealand players was prevented from leaving the country following their 22-16 loss to the South Africans in the tournament final.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) also said it was "aware an issue was raised by local police" in Cape Town before the team left.
The New Age reported the team was allowed to leave South Africa after the New Zealand's High Commission intervened.
But MFAT rejected that.
"The NZ High Commission in Pretoria has not negotiated special treatment for the individuals concerned - all New Zealanders overseas are expected to abide by the laws and regulations of the country they are visiting."