The New Zealand under-20 rugby player at the centre of a rape allegation in South Africa has identified himself and denied the allegation.
Hooker Nathan Harris released a statement via the New Zealand Rugby Union on Thursday to reveal he was the player involved.
"I am making this statement today so everyone knows that I am the player at the centre of this issue. There is no one else involved.
"I want to say very strongly that I am innocent of the allegation made against me," the 20-year-old said.
The Bay of Plenty academy player said he was wrong to break team rules and allow a woman to enter his room.
"I am proud to have had this amazing opportunity to represent my country playing rugby and I know that I let the team down and I let my family down.
"For that I am truly sorry and I want to apologise to my teammates, team management and to all the parents and friends who supported our team, but especially to my family for the distress this has caused them all.
"The past five days have been a very stressful and painful time for me and my family," he said.
Harris, who played in the final of the IRB world championship final which the Baby Blacks lost 22-16, was accused of rape by a 22-year-old woman at the team's hotel in Cape Town.
The New Zealand Rugby Union on Tuesday refused to identify the player who they said had provided police with a DNA sample prior to leaving South Africa.
It said Harris had been drinking on the night the incident is alleged to have taken place.
Police spokesman Colonel Vishnu Naidoo said the alleged victim was having trouble remembering anything about the incident.
The team were allowed to leave South Africa as scheduled and arrived back in New Zealand on Sunday evening.