Police are investigating the sale of butane gas to young people in Christchurch after the death of a teenage girl.
Members of the public and ambulance staff tried to resuscitate the 17-year-old in a Riccarton park on Saturday but were unsuccessful, Detective Sergeant Craig Farrant said.
Initial inquiries indicated that a group of females were sniffing butane gas, known as "huffing", in the area.
Police were not seeking anyone else in connection with the death, which would now be referred to the coroner. An autopsy was being carried out on Sunday.
Det Sgt Farrant said inquiries would be made into the sale of butane to youths in the area.
"While the cause of death has yet to be confirmed, the incident highlights the dangers of people sniffing butane."
The girl's identity has not been released as next of kin have yet to be notified.
Chief coroner Neil Maclean said last month he would look at the issue of huffing after admitting he was surprised that since 2001 there had been 30 deaths attributed to sniffing gas.
In May, a 12-year-old boy died after huffing in a Christchurch carpark.
Also last month, two Mosgiel teenagers were badly injured when the LPG bottle they were sniffing from exploded.