An Australian man who bought a baby boy, sexually abused him and rented him out to other paedophiles to molest will spend the next 40 years behind bars.
A tip off from New Zealand authorities led to the arrest of the 42-year-old man, who was sentenced in the US District Court in Indianapolis on Friday.
The abuse was discovered after Internal Affairs investigator Jon Peacock found inappropriate photos of a six-year-old boy and alerted Australian police.
The man and his partner bought the boy for $US8000 (NZ$10,321) and sexually abused the boy, now eight, for several years.
Prosecutors discovered videos and photos of the man, his domestic partner, also an Australian, and other men in Australia, the US, Germany and France abusing the child from the age of two to six.
While sentencing the 42-year-old, Judge Sarah Evans Barker said he deserved a harsher punishment but accepted the plea deal because she did not want to subject jurors to the disturbing evidence.
Mr Peacock said he found the initial photos of the boy, while searching the computer of another man in a separate investigation.
"Rescuing and protecting children from this vile trade is what it's all about," he said.
"This investigation began in the Wellington region, but the web of abuse took on an international perspective with offences being discovered in France, Germany, America, and Australia."
The man's partner has also pleaded guilty and will be sentenced later this year.
On Friday, the court heard the two men, who had been living in California, bought the newborn boy in an undisclosed country and used falsified documents in Los Angeles in an attempt to adopt him.
The boy has been rescued by US authorities and is being cared for in California.