A nine-year-old girl’s nightgown may have caught fire because of the liquid fabric softener that was used to wash it.
Addie Perrenoud, from La Center, Washington, was rushed to hospital with second and third-degree burns to 75 percent of her body on June 27, the Columbian reports.
Clark County Fire and Rescue Chief, Dennis Mason, believes Addie was using a match in the bathroom, presumably to light a candle, when her clothing caught fire.
He said investigators initially thought an accelerant like hairspray or air freshener could have caused the fire, but now believe a brand of liquid fabric softener, Downy, could be linked to the cause.
Liquid fabric softeners "fluff up" fabric fibres.
“In doing that it presents more surface area as a fuel so it burns a whole lot better,” Mr Martin said.
Addie was airlifted to the Oregon Burn Centre in Portland in a critical condition.
Her mum, Kelly Perrenoud, also suffered burns on her arms and hands when she was putting the fire out.
Investigations are continuing.